Calvinism and Annihilationism?

Jeff

Calvinism and Annihilationism?

Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:51 am

One of the most intriguing theological topics for me personally has always been predestination/free will. I have also become interested in the topic of the three views of hell. So something I recently wondered about has there ever been any prominent Christians and/or denominations that have held to both Calvinism and Annihilationism? I personally don't hold to either belief, but a belief in annihilationism does seem to make Calvinism less "horrific", at least to me. In other words, the idea that a God would create some humans to simply cease to exist at death and some to live eternally doesn't seem like quite as horrible as the idea that God would create some humans to suffer eternally in the lake of fire.

steve7150

Re: Calvinism and Annihilationism?

Post by steve7150 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:12 am

I don't think there are any denominations and it is certainly way less horrific but still the idea of a small class of elect by God who end up with God at the expense of so many others who endure so much pointless suffering seems unjust to me.
Of course my understanding of justice may be very limited but it's all i have.

Jeff

Re: Calvinism and Annihilationism?

Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:22 am

steve7150 wrote:I don't think there are any denominations and it is certainly way less horrific but still the idea of a small class of elect by God who end up with God at the expense of so many others who endure so much pointless suffering seems unjust to me.
Of course my understanding of justice may be very limited but it's all i have.
I agree.

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”