James White Twitter Exchange

darinhouston

James White Twitter Exchange

Post by darinhouston » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:53 pm

Well, I'm sort of famous -- Dr. White mentioned me on his Dividing Line program this week. He retweeted a quote from Jonathan Edwards about God's pent up wrath poured out on Jesus, to which I replied "yuck." He replied that I clearly had never read any Edwards -- to which I replied that he had no way to know that and that, in fact, I had read a fair amount of Edwards. A few other exchanges where he made assumptions about me and I denied them -- then, he mentioned me on his podcast and referred to me as being clearly a Zahn-type Progressive Christian who he didn't have time for. So, I tweeted him that I heard the call-out and that calling someone a Progressive merely for disagreeing with him was foolish and not very Christ-like.

So, he blocked me on Twitter (which is a shame, because I sometimes learn things from his tweets).

All he knows about me is that I don't like Edwards' quote and that I acknowledged that my view of the atonement might well be deficient (his claim) but that we all likely have deficient views of the atonement. Progressive?!

How this man has any influence (or relationships) with anyone but his echo chamber amazes me. (petulant comes to mind)

Paidion

Re: James White Twitter Exchange

Post by Paidion » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Yep. You've got his number, Darin.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:22 am

Such a wasted talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:24 pm

I do hate to see that.

Not on topic, but I read a C.S. Lewis quote in your tweets. Something like, "The more pride you have, the more you are bothered by other people's pride."
I don't remember reading that before. Insightful.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:01 pm

Singalphile wrote:I do hate to see that.

Not on topic, but I read a C.S. Lewis quote in your tweets. Something like, "The more pride you have, the more you are bothered by other people's pride."
I don't remember reading that before. Insightful.
Man, you got me with that one! #DarinRepents

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:32 pm

I actually like Brian Zahnd a lot :)

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:27 pm

I really wasn't trying to "get you", darinhouston. I was struck (or "convicted" as we might say) by that quote myself. Always good to check our pride-level though, right.

:)
mattrose wrote:
I actually like Brian Zahnd a lot
Oh, "Zahnd". No wonder I couldn't find anything when I was trying to look up "Zahn".
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:32 pm

Well, I'm sort of famous -- Dr. White mentioned me on his Dividing Line program this week. He retweeted a quote from Jonathan Edwards about God's pent up wrath poured out on Jesus, to which I replied "yuck."
Wow man, that was you? That's funny, I heard that and just kind of shook my head smiling and thought how "yuck" would be my response as well. I listen to the Dividing Line regularly and enjoy it much of the time. Though I sometimes wonder how it might be if I was to ever hang out with him. I'm mostly a heretic by his estimation, and yet he remains one of my heroes. Such is life I guess.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”