Another Merger Post

wwalkeriv

Re: Another Merger Post

Post by wwalkeriv » Wed May 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Matt & Perry,

Thanks for the replies. I agree that the passage could be (or possibly "is") speaking of decaying bodies being eaten by maggots; however, it says "their" worm. Again, I assume it's metaphoric, but could it be talking about the soul? Let's assume it's not, what about the Revelation 20 passage?

Rev 20:10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Anyone not found in the book of life is also cast into this lake of fire, where one might get the impression that there is torment day and night forever and ever.

mattrose

Re: Another Merger Post

Post by mattrose » Wed May 30, 2012 6:59 pm

The Revelation passage is the strongest (only strong?) verse for the Everlasting Misery perspective, I admit. But that says something that the strongest verse for a position:

1. Is found in the most symbolic book of the Bible
2. Doesn't even directly talk about human beings

So we're left with 1 symbolic verse that 'might give the impression' that everlasting misery is a reality for human beings. At some point you have to let the weight of the Scriptural case for the other position(s) influence your interpretation here.

Seemingly, you could argue...
1. That the devil, beast, and false prophet receive a different punishment b/c of the nature of their sin.
2. That the devil, beast, and false prophet receive a different punishment b/c they are not human
3. That the devil, beast, and false prophet are non-personal entities that will be forever tormented (so to speak)
4. That the devil, beast, and false prophet will also eventually be redeemed (in light of universalistic passages) and this passage is just hyperbole

And I'm sure there are a host of other possible interpretations. Are any of them plausible? I think so. But even if they are only possible that would be enough in light of the fact that the Scriptural case for the other views is strong.

Return to “Views of Hell”