New member intro...

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
ryan

New member intro...

Post by ryan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi all,

I've been an online listener of The Narrow Path for a few years now, as well as a listener of Steve's many fine resources on the web site. I've also been a lurker on the forums for about the same length of time also. I'm not sure I have much to contribute to the site, but I thought I'd create an account and maybe at least participate in some small degree... although sometimes I have a tendency with message boards to regress back to lurking! :)

Some background information... I'm 30 years old, have been married to a wonderful Christian woman for a little over two years, and we have one son (6 weeks old now). I was raised in a small, rural church (in southern Ohio) from birth. It's part of the Churches of Christ in Christian Union denomination, which is an offshoot of the Wesley-holiness movement. I've attended there my whole life. I realize that being in one church for that long of a time period probably seems extremely sheltered to some, and I realize that's probably the case. :D

I have to say that Steve's ministry has been pretty instrumental in getting me to think outside of my little world of church. Although I was raised in church, I wasn't born again until I was 17 years old. For some time after my conversion, I didn't dig as deep as I probably should have into the things of God. Over time though, I've began to realize that I needed to dig into scripture for myself, and figure out what I actually believe.

The most recent things that I've been mulling over have been the topic of "entire sanctification" (remember, I was raised in and still attend a holiness church of the Wesleyan strain), and eschatology. As far as entire sanctification goes... I just can't quite get a handle on how it's always been presented from our denomination. It seems like there is a place for a secondary experience in a believer's life... but I still struggle with the specifics. Regarding the end times, my wife and I recently began a survey study of the different eschatological views, and while I'm still trying to wrap my brain around some of the concepts... I waver between historic premillennialism and amillennialism. Sometimes I wish there was just a "pick and choose" buffet for eschatology... :)

Anyhow, greetings to all on the board. I feel very dim-witted at times when reading other posts on here, as most seem so knowledgable of the Bible and well versed, but hopefully I can stay motivated to contribute in some way or another. God bless!

-Ryan

RICHinCHRIST

Re: New member intro...

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Welcome Ryan!

We're all on a journey like you. Glad you are wrestling with different teachings and trying to hold on to what is good.

mattrose

Re: New member intro...

Post by mattrose » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:00 am

Wow Ryan... you and I have quite a bit in common

- We both really enjoy Steve Gregg's ministry
- We both spend time on message boards
- We're both 30 years old
- We both have great Christian wives
- We are both fairly recently married (We just had our 3rd anniversary 2 days ago)
- We live fairly close to each other (I'm from Western NY State)
- We're both from the Wesleyan-Holiness tradition (I'm in the Wesleyan Church)
- We were both 'born-again' at 17 years old
- We both began to 'dig-deep' sometime later (not right away)
- We've both been somewhat sheltered theologically until somewhat recently
- We both have some doubts about our traditions specifics on Entire Sanctification
- Both our wives are interested in talking about theology
- We both lean away from pop-eschatology
- We both hope you stay active on this forum :)

ryan

New member intro...

Post by ryan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:02 am

Thanks, guys!

Also, Matt... I've read some of your postings on here before and knew some of your story, but I didn't realize we had THAT much in common! :)

Return to “The Courtyard”