Hi everyone, and let's give a big hand to theology!

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
steve

Re: Hi everyone, and let's give a big hand to theology!

Post by steve » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi Terry,

I just remembered that it was late 1978 (not 1979) that I spent a week at Last Days Ministries, so I guess we did not cross paths. I think I was there in November, 1978. Wayne and Martin had just arrived at the ministry a month or two before I visited, and I had occasion to visit a bit with them. Jerry Bryant was there also—and it turned out that he had been one of the two people in the world who had read my first book "The Joy of Giving" when he was a pastor, and had preached a series based upon the book (he told me). Keith and Melody had not known of me before my visit, though, when I showed them one of my comic-style tracts, they remembered having used them in the past.

Though he was not at LDM at the time I as there, I was also friends with Bob Ayala, who later worked with Last Days in the Keith Green Memorial Concerts. I am sure you would have known him in those years. In 1971 and 1972, Bob was touring under the stage name "Jo Jo." Our band "New Wine" was also working with the same ministry he was in, and, since he was blind, I often drove him to his gigs, when we were not booked somewhere else.

Keith's second album, "No Compromise" happened to come out the week I was visiting the community, and was sitting in Keith's living room with him, Melody and a couple of other guys, when Keith brought home and played for us the first pressed vinyl copy. Hearing that album made me a Keith Green fan. I had enjoyed most of his first album, but did not become a fan until his second one, which I thought was much better. Kelly Willard's first album came out that same week, and I first heard of her when Keith played some tracks from his copy for Jerry and me.

Though we hardly knew each other, I can claim to have sung with Keith Green once. He came home with news that he might have gotten a deal to write and sing some advertising jingles. He thought the ministry could produce some commercial songs he would write, and he apparently was thinking about Jerry and me recording them with him. He pulled Jerry and me aside, one night, and said, "Can you sing harmony to this...?" and he sang three or four notes. We accompanied him the second time through, harmonizing. That would comprise my whole career of singing with Keith Green. From what I understand of his perfectionism in the studio, it may be just as well that I did not stick around to try recording with him. I am sure that he would have found my talent to be amateurish, at best. His guitarist, Hadley Hockensmith is also a friend of my family's.

Keith himself was mostly nocturnal, while I was there, but, when he was awake, he and I went for a few long walks around the block, giving him the opportunity to grill me about my theological positions. I must have passed muster, because he told me that he believed God wanted me to stay there and become an elder. He was not too happy about my declining his invitation. He thought I was defying the prophet of God.

We stayed in touch somewhat, and he later said to Danny Lehmann (in my presence), "Isn't Steve the most likable rebel you ever met?" I guess he later felt convicted about saying that (though I took it as a compliment), and, just before moving to Texas, the last time I saw him, he apologized for calling me a rebel. But, like I said, I had not found his choice of words offensive.

I have known Gary Delacy since high school, and he introduced me to my first wife (he disavows any responsibility for that, and I never held it against him). He and I started the GNU tract and comic book ministry (I wrote and illustrated the materials, and he provided the financing). At my website, you can see a couple of my comic books. Gary did the airbrushing of the colored cover on the first book. He was the professional. I just drew with a generic technical fountain pen, and colored the second book's cover with colored felt-tip pens. I never had anything like an art studio. Just did most of the work on a drafting board in my living room. I have not seen Gary much in recent years, but he showed up at one of my meetings a few months ago, and talked as if we had been seeing each other all along. I expect to see him again, eventually.

You mentioned the possibility of visiting our Bible study in Temecula. Do you live in the area, or are you contemplating driving some distance? If the latter, my wife and I would be glad to have you and your wife stay with us while you are out this way.

SteveF

Post by SteveF » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:47 pm

My twin brother and I worked on the Newsletter, him doing cover art, while I handled the layout and design, plus an occasional illustration.
Terry, when I became a Christian in 1983, other than the bible, the LDM Newsletters were virtually the only thing I read. A fellow new Christian friend of mine and I would read many of them together which would often lead to a spontaneous time of prayer and repentance. Thank you for your work on putting them together!

DeGraff

Post by DeGraff » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:11 pm

Steve:
Looks like I missed you by a few months, but you may have met my wife Carol who was there at that time. Although I'm sure you made the right decision, LDM could have used someone like you to navigate the next few years. I was all of 19, and most of the people there were new believers. We had people like Winkey Pratney and Danny Lehman drop in at times, and they provided some mentoring for Keith and teaching for the staff.

Wayne died from a heart attack a few years ago, but I have stayed in touch with his wife. Both of his daughters stayed with us when in town just last week. I have kept in touch with Martin over the years. We were closer friends, working together and having a similar sense of humor.

I'm so glad I don't have to fill you in on what Keith was like. Many assumed him to be a saint, or maybe heard from people who met him and were disappointed or put off. You got to see both the positive intensity, and no doubt the immature brashness. He had likely been a believer for 3 years when you met him and was already a top-selling Christian artist. He was only 28 when he died in the plane crash, which seems impossible.

My wife and I were quite close with Bob and Pam Ayala, and her passing was a real shocker just a few years ago. Bob stayed with us in 2011 when he was out here recording a new EP. I drove him to the studio and got to hang out and watch them lay down tracks. If you haven't heard it, you are in for a treat. Here is a link to download the final product: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/BobAyala

We have so many friends in common, you just seem to have met them before I did. I live 7 miles inland in Oceanside and I can be in Temecula in 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic. I may not be as nocturnal as Keith was, but making a 6:30am bible study that far away will be a challenge.

SteveF:
Sometimes looking back, I can fixate on the long hours and craziness of being in full-time ministry. Knowing we were reaching people like you on a deep personal level brings me back to why we were doing it.

Return to “The Courtyard”