Evolution is compatible with Christianity

Murf

Re: Evolution is compatible with Christianity

Post by Murf » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:07 pm

I am a YOC now for 2 reasons. First is that it is the most straight forward way to read the text. Second, the only reason I thought I needed to include old earth calculations and evoluation is becuase that is what I was taught in school. Having studied the actual "science" behind these claims I came to find they weren't as scientific as I was led to beleive. I found out there were just as many sceintific claims that supported a young earth and didn't support evoluation. So since science can't make up its mind I have decided to discard their opinions about the Bible.

tim

Theophilus

Post by Theophilus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:38 pm

I was listening to Steve's Verse-By-Verse teaching in Romans (rom04.mp3) and he mentioned that Darwin made reference to God in the conclusion to The Origin of Species. Below are excerpts from the final two paragraphs. Previously, I had not heard that Darwin was a deist. Darwin was still short of Biblical truth, but in his own words he acknowledges the existence of the Creator and the breath of life.

http://www.literature.org/authors/darwi ... er-14.html

The Origin of Species
Charles Darwin

Chapter 14 - Recapitulation and Conclusion
[Next to last paragraph]
Authors of the highest eminence seem to be fully satisfied with the view that each species has been independently created. To my mind it accords better with what we know of the laws impressed on matter by the Creator, that the production and extinction of the past and present inhabitants of the world should have been due to secondary causes, like those determining the birth and death of the individual.
[Last sentence]
There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

anochria

Post by anochria » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:43 pm

I'd just like to point out that I see quite a difference between miraculously directed theistic evolution and naturalistic evolution kicked off by God. The former is much easier to support biblically.

Myself, I tend to lean in favor of progressive creation (akin to Hugh Ross's view) or failing that, directed theistic evolution, as mentioned above.
Pastor Josh Coles, Aletheia Christian Fellowship
Visit the Aletheia Discussion Forums

Return to “Roman Catholicism”