RCC private school dilemma

Erich

RCC private school dilemma

Post by Erich » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:43 am

I am struggling with a decision I need to make and I am looking for insight or balance to my current thoughts and feelings on the following issue: while I know many in this forum are for home schooling that is not a viable option for my son right now so we are thinking the next best thing would be a private school. It turns out there is a Catholic school in the area that is known for it’s academics and is very well priced. It also turns out that you can have your child attend the school strictly for the academics and none of the RCC religion would be taught to them. This may sound find to some but my personal struggle is that after reading books like Foxes Book of Martyrs and my limited studies in church history and my current view of “the man of lawlessness” being similar to what Steve holds, I feel like how can I send my son to a school where my money will go to such a religion that scripturally it can be argued will fall specifically under God’s wrath in the end and that only a few hundred years ago would burn someone like me (or worse). Please know that for me this is regarding the RCC as a whole and not directed at individuals so I am not looking for an argument but would love to hear some possible balance or affirmation from others.
Erich <><

darinhouston

Re: RCC private school dilemma

Post by darinhouston » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:32 am

That's a tough one, but couldn't the same be said for civil governments?

Erich

Post by Erich » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Thank Darin for the post...I thought about that and taxes etc and my initial thought is, we don't have much of a choice regarding paying are taxes and where are money goes etc (and even are told to do so I think) but it seems like I do have a choice where my money goes regarding my sons education...I don't know I am really struggling with it. <><

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:54 pm

I was an elementary teacher for many years. At one point, I observed a private Catholic school in action. The teacher, a Catholic, seemed to be a very devout Christian. She asked the students to state their "intentions" (whom to pray for) and they all prayed for the students' requests. The whole tenor of the class was directed toward serving God.

If I were a young man, and saw a Catholic private school as "the only viable option", I wouldn't hesitate to send my children there.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

USMCatholic

Post by USMCatholic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:48 pm

It is interesting you are looking into a Catholic School for your children. All four of my children go to Catholic Schools. My daughter got accepted to The US Naval Academy/Annapolis and UCLA. My next son, is preparing for West Point. My two youngest are absolutely excellent in languages, science and math in Secondary School and expect the same in High School.
I think your fears are unrealistic about a Catholic Christian education. Of course, when we were Protestant we thought about sending our children to a private Protestant School. Of course, now that we are Catholic Christians we realize that Protestants have 7 books and two sections removed from their bible, so your Catholic fears are well realized from my own fears of Protestant teachings.

My only question is about how much you know about a number of fallacies in the Book of Martyrs. I would suggest you read the following link, http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1998/9803conv.asp

It is about a Protestant who converted to Catholic Christianity. His academic training as a historian, professional expertise and perspective is very interesting on Foxe. I think you would find it eye-opening that may allow you to re-think your own prejudice on Catholic Education. Then again, you can send your children there to bring all the students to Jesus since most Protestants do not believe that Baptism brings you into the body of Christ. God and Country

Murf

Post by Murf » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:33 am

I'm glad your seeking advice from others and I think you are getting sound advice from those who have posted. My advice is to spend a lot of time in prayer and listening to other Christians, then trust your conscience whatever it tells you. Whether your child is home schooled or not you are still his primary teacher.

tim

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:37 am

Whether your child is home schooled or not you are still his primary teacher.
YES! The most important point of all, Tim!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Erich

Post by Erich » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:20 pm

Thank you everyone for you time and thoughtful posts. I appreciate it.

Erich <><

CThomas

Post by CThomas » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:16 am

USMCatholic, just wanted to make sure I'm looking at the right document here. I'm only seeing two claims about Foxe's book of martyrs at the link you provided. First, that certain victims of persecution were "unorthodox." And second, tht Foxe and his co-religionists were themselves just as bad as those the book criticizes. Do you find these points to be weighty? Or am I missing others about the book in the linked article?

Best regards,

CThomas

Return to “Roman Catholicism”