John 6:54 present tense

tom

John 6:54 present tense

Post by tom » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:07 pm

Okay, I'm still having a hard time figuring out the absolute present tense of John 6:54. Steve Gregg says it is. It reads; "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." Steve, you say it means 'you are eating my flesh right now and drinking my blood right now'.

If I were to say; 'Whoever eats the flesh of the turkey and drinks the apple cider has celebrated our Thanksgiving.' Does this mean that you are eating the turkey and cider right now?

What am I missing?

Tom

darinhouston

Re: John 6:54 present tense

Post by darinhouston » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:34 pm

I believe one thing that you're missing is that no one I know has ever spoken of the turkey dinner in a figurative manner.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:22 am

Tom,

I believe the instance you gave would be an example of our lazy usage of tenses. If you mean for the statement to mean, "Whoever shall eat of the flesh of the turkey..." then the sentence is not really speaking in the present tense, but a future tense. That we have come to use the present tense "eats" to convey such a meaning is, in my opinion, an instance of how our colloquial usage has drifted from strictly correct grammar. Technically, our word "eats" means "is eating." I do not know if the Greeks had come to use their verb tenses inaccurately in the time of John or not, but as it stands, it describes a present action.

tom

Post by tom » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:26 am

So, I'm confused, still. I know I'm slow but I still don't see how you're positive John 6:54 is absolute present tense. In your response below, it sounds like my initial question could work. Is that right? At least "in your opinion".

Just read and listen to what I wrote; If I were to say; 'Whoever eats the flesh of the turkey and drinks the apple cider has celebrated our Thanksgiving.' Does this mean that you are eating the turkey and cider right now?" Could this work for future tense? And still be written just like John 6:54.
steve wrote:Tom,

I believe the instance you gave would be an example of our lazy usage of tenses. If you mean for the statement to mean, "Whoever shall eat of the flesh of the turkey..." then the sentence is not really speaking in the present tense, but a future tense. That we have come to use the present tense "eats" to convey such a meaning is, in my opinion, an instance of how our colloquial usage has drifted from strictly correct grammar. Technically, our word "eats" means "is eating." I do not know if the Greeks had come to use their verb tenses inaccurately in the time of John or not, but as it stands, it describes a present action.
Tom

Return to “Roman Catholicism”