writing icons

For the discussion of the distinctives of the various mainstream Christian denominations
glow

writing icons

Post by glow » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:17 am

Hello! I am in Dallas tx taking a workshop (for lack of a better word) on writing(painting) icons.
It is taught by a woman who is russian orthodox.I knew a little about icons before I took the class.It has been almost over whelming all the teaching discussion of the icons and what they mean to their church body, and than creating them.
It is explained they were created very early on, like the holy bible was but in pictures.St.Luke is suppose to be one of the earliest iconographers.The steps in making one are very beautiful and reverent unto God.Every little brush stroke has a meaning, colors, the gold how applied with your breath to the earth clay base(rep. mans being formed from the earth),amazing !And on and on.

I know alot of folks years ago did not know how to read. They take it as a very sacred honor to "write them.We are not allowed to change them at all etc because it would be like changing Gods Holy word, except in ornamental places. I find it fascinating, beautiful but I also do not want to get caught into some thing that could be very "religious" meaning being brought down by church dogma, rather than Gods "truth" and the freedom in Christ.
I thought Id throw this out here for discussion. I have to go to class and will not be back until later.I know folks probably have opinions on these maybe as "idols", but I do have to say before I became more knowledgeable in them, I had more of a outlook on them as idols and just how beautiful and sometimes "weird" in faces etc they were, now I find myself having a much deeper respect for them.A spiritual connection.

Thank you for any and all replies. God less your day!
Glow

Suzana

Re: writing icons

Post by Suzana » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:44 pm

...It is explained they were created very early on, like the holy bible was but in pictures...
I know alot of folks years ago did not know how to read. They take it as a very sacred honor to "write them.We are not allowed to change them at all etc because it would be like changing Gods Holy word, ...
Hi Glow,

So is that the main purpose of having icons? As a bible in 'pictures'? So continuing to make them would be like continuing to hand-copy or print the written bible?
I know nothing at all about icons except I think they were just of various early Christians/saints and they have them on display at Orthodox churches.
I suppose it would be like looking at photographs - interesting, but I don't quite understand the spiritual benefit or necessity of gazing at them constantly.
Suzana

glow

Post by glow » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Suzzana, It is not some thing I can respond to easily.They believe being they represent Gods holy word, they should be revered just like the bible.They believe if you sit with them and meditate on the particular icon it will transcend Gods word to you, like when you read scripture, through the holy spirit.The icons themselves are made by a very time consuming prayerful practice.All the lines, colors, applications have deep scriptural meaning all connected to Christ and us growing in him, our basic human nature, growing up towards Gods refinement and eventually being welcomed into heaven through our transformation in Christ.
When we applied the gold (and they try to use the best Gold to honor God)The body is first painted in a very rough earthy color called chaos.It represents man before his Godly nature.Just as we are basic men when born, The halo is covered in red clay, that represents adam and all of man, made of the earth.
Than we apply the gold leaf over the red clay with the heat of our breath.(Very difficult and time consuming, but it really feels deep connecting to God in the process, and thinking about how God breathed life into Adam. The gold is slowly than burnished onto the red clay with an agate stone. The halo is trimmed in red that represents the human heart and divides the human being in the two worlds earthly and spirit ,yet connects them to God redeeming power (the gold).I could go on and on.But as you are making them, you are constantly being reminded of God, the scriptures.Its just amazing.And they have certain beliefs with the saints you write , you learn about a particular human nature trait that St. had and how they over came it or were helped through God.You can receive more of Gods redeeming power through man by meditating on them and their life.Like when we read about Noah etc. we can connect with him etc. I hope that gives you a little idea of why they are considered so holy.I orig. got interested in them as a Christian and an artist for their beauty, but learning all the deeper meanings of them, blew me away.I wish more Christians would get knowledge on the beauty and meaning of them too .I know some of them the way they are stylized can even look kinda creepy, but when you understand them, it all starts making sense.I know they are still used alot in the orthodox churches, alot with traditions still carried over, even though most folks can read now..

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:29 pm

So, kind of an aid to meditation on God then...thank you for your description, Glow. I'm glad you enjoyed your course. :)
Suzana

Return to “Denominations”