TK

Can Someone Explain Job to Me?

Post by TK » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:04 pm

Well?

TK

Jason

Re: Can Someone Explain Job to Me?

Post by Jason » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:09 pm

Is this a discussion about the economy? If so, I got laid off three months ago and it's been rough. I don't know why God is allowing me to suffer without a job. My friends say it's because I've sinned but I'm not sure that's it. We discussed it quite a bit as a group but have reached an impasse. Perhaps one day God will rebuke my friends and vindicate me.

:-)

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:49 pm

Like is Job a real story or a parable? Why did God remove his hedge when Job appeared to be God fearing? Was it because Job was fearful or self righteous or prideful? Was it simply to reveal Satan?

TK

Post by TK » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:34 am

The whole "set up" of the story is what really bothers me.

I have a sense that it may be a parable; of course many many would disagree and they are probably right.

But it seems like God allowed great anguish and pain befall a man simply over a wager, and a wager with satan, no less. Why did God feel it was important to win a bet with satan? Did He think satan would be impressed? Why would God care what satan thinks? The story (the set-up, that is) just seems out of keeping with God's character. Notice I said "seems."

I haven't really heard any satisfactory answers to all this; perhaps it is because there simply aren't any satisfactory answers and we just have to deal with it.

TK

SamIam

Post by SamIam » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:29 am

I haven't really heard any satisfactory answers to all this; perhaps it is because there simply aren't any satisfactory answers and we just have to deal with it.
Maybe that is the point of the book. Horrible things happen, and we look to God for answers. But God does not owe us answers. When horrible things happen, we just have to deal with it.
The story (the set-up, that is) just seems out of keeping with God's character. Notice I said "seems."
Do we really understand God's character? We all know how we would like God to be, but does He comform to our desires?

TK

Post by TK » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:27 am

Sam wrote:
Do we really understand God's character?
Yes, to a large extent, because I think God's character was revealed in Jesus Christ: And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature (Heb 1:3)

TK

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:33 am

But it seems like God allowed great anguish and pain befall a man simply over a wager, and a wager with satan, no less. Why did God feel it was important to win a bet with satan? Did He think satan would be impressed? Why would God care what satan thinks? The story (the set-up, that is) just seems out of keeping with God's character. Notice I said "seems."

Well i think we do know God's character since revealing it was one of the reasons Christ came. IMHO it's a parable to show God does have a hedge around us but Satan wants to destroy and kill us.
I think the "bet" part may sound like it does because of hebrew idioms but if for any reason we lose that hedge it is Satan that attacks, not God. In the end Job kept his faith though he did'nt understand and was restored.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Here is James' very short commentary on Job:

Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended by the Lordthat the Lord is very compassionate and merciful.

James seems to think a person considering the story of Job should come away thinking the Lord is very compassionate and merciful. Interesting.

TK

Post by TK » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:06 pm

Jason wrote:
James seems to think a person considering the story of Job should come away thinking the Lord is very compassionate and merciful. Interesting.
It is indeed very interesting. I wish James had spent a little more time on his commentary to explain what in the world he means. I know the Lord is very compassionate and merciful. But I am not 100% clear how this comes out in the story of Job. Sure, he did restore Job's losses (although I am not sure how you can replace dead children). But he basically gave satan the green light to remove them in the first place.

If I grab a favored toy out the hand of my grandaughter for no reason and make her cry, and then give it back an hour later and make her smile, how am i being compassionate and merciful?

TK

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:27 pm

But he basically gave satan the green light to remove them in the first place.

He gave the green light or did Satan already really have it from Adam?

Return to “Poetry and Wisdom”