Another Question from Job

Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
TK

Another Question from Job

Post by TK » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:45 pm

From Job 33, NLT
19 Or God disciplines people with pain on their sickbeds, with ceaseless aching in their bones.
20 They lose their appetite for even the most delicious food.
21 Their flesh wastes away, and their bones stick out.
22 They are at death’s door; the angels of death wait for them.

23 “But if an angel from heaven appears— a special messenger to intercede for a person
and declare that he is upright— 24 he will be gracious and say,
‘Rescue him from the grave, for I have found a ransom for his life.’

25 Then his body will become as healthy as a child’s, firm and youthful again.
26 When he prays to God, he will be accepted.
And God will receive him with joy and restore him to good standing.
My question pertains to the underlined portion. This is from Elihu's speech, and I am wondering what this underlined portion might mean. But I guess the first question we must ask is whether what Elihu says is even a correct statement. In other words, even though this speech is in the Bible, since it is supposedly a quote or paraphrase of what a man said, it may not necessarily be something we can rely on, right? Or should we rely on it and assume the statement is true BECAUSE it is in scripture?

I like the idea of the verse- it seems that we may have angels who intercede on our behalf-- but maybe this is even an allusion to what Jesus does. I haven't looked into any commentaries yet.

TK

steve7150

Re: Another Question from Job

Post by steve7150 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:39 pm

My question pertains to the underlined portion. This is from Elihu's speech, and I am wondering what this underlined portion might mean. But I guess the first question we must ask is whether what Elihu says is even a correct statement. In other words, even though this speech is in the Bible, since it is supposedly a quote or paraphrase of what a man said, it may not necessarily be something we can rely on, right? Or should we rely on it and assume the statement is true BECAUSE it is in scripture?

According to Matthew Henry this "angel" or messanger is Jesus interceding for us because we are upright because of him, not us. As for the other part of the statement regarding God striking us. Most believe this is true just as Job said "The Lord gives and takes away." But Job And Elihu did'nt know about a New Covenant where Jesus is the propitiation for our sins, so IMHO it's not the Lord that strikes us. However most Christians believe God does strike us for his purposes.

Return to “Poetry and Wisdom”