Presuppositional Apologetics

Seballius

Presuppositional Apologetics

Post by Seballius » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:03 pm

Hello all,

I was wondering everyone’s thoughts on Presuppositional Apologetics. I have listened to some of Greg Bahnsen‘ lectures and he makes some good points. What I do not like about Bahnsen - he was a Calvinist and a theonomist.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paidion

Re: Presuppositional Apologetics

Post by Paidion » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Well... according to Wikipedia:

Presuppositionalism is a school of Christian apologetics that believes the Christian faith is the only basis for rational thought. It presupposes that the Bible is divine revelation and attempts to expose flaws in other worldviews. It claims that apart from presuppositions, one could not make sense of any human experience, and there can be no set of neutral assumptions from which to reason with a non-Christian.

This seems pretty extreme to me. I don't identify with it at all.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:42 am

I think there is a humbler form of presuppositionalism that simply recognizes that until we are working under the same 'worldview', there isn't much hope of coming to the same conclusions. So the key to Christian apologetics, in this school of thought, is to help non-Christians at least consider the Christian worldview before they dismiss Christian beliefs. All belief systems should be understood in their own terms.

Seballius

Post by Seballius » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:56 am

Good point Matt. I believe Bahnsen would have fallen into the category that Paidion describes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fgit

Post by fgit » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Why you think some of his points are good, and why you don't like calvinism ?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Return to “General”