Pride

Right & Wrong
darinhouston

Pride

Post by darinhouston » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:01 am

Has anyone seen anything discussing various forms/types of pride? It's one thing to "have pride" but what about when we speak of being proud of an accomplishment or proud of our children? As long as we recognize the grace of God in the thing, at what point and in what way is having pride in something ok?

Seballius

Re: Pride

Post by Seballius » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:31 pm

I have reflected on this issue as well. It seems that one has to have a certain level of self-esteem just to wake up, get dressed, go to work, and complete all the daily tasks.

To me, pride would be saying that I did it all myself. It would be forgetting the fact that everything I truly have was given to me.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:27 pm

I think we need a better term to distinguish the two.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:26 pm

Darin,

When our kids or grandkids do well I think often we say "I''m proud of ---" when we mean "I'm pleased with", not "I'm glad my kid is better than yours".

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:18 am

I guess sometimes I do mean "I'm proud of" as it reflects some accomplishment and satisfaction that some of what I've taught has "stuck" or "taken root." I think we all feel a sense of pride at times beyond mere pleasure (and not just in kids, but also in my own efforts, sticking with something hard for example). I guess the question is when that crosses over into the sin of pride (or is it always sinful?).

I think we would all agree that it's sin when we consciously feel we've done something on our own without any act of God. But, for most of us, I think there's an acknowledgment (tacit or expressed) that it was always according to God's grace and equipping, but still recognizing our role and will and perseverance, etc. makes us proud of an accomplishment.

That's the nuance I'm positing.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:55 pm

The Greek word "υπερηφανια" is found in Matt 7:22. It means "shining above".

"αλαζονια" is found in 1 John 2:16 and in James 4:16. It means "empty, braggart talk"

"καυχησις " is found in 2 Cor 7:14. It refers to boasting about someone else, and is used in a positive way.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:51 am

Interestingly, a very similar discussion on this (otherwise political) podcast. Steve is a Christian and has a bit on "Theology Thursdays" -- his podcast is otherwise fairly political. But, it's worth a listen. It's the last 16-17 minutes or so of this episode.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0491725748

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:38 am

2 Chronicles 17:6 says "He (Jehoshaphat) took great pride in the ways of the Lord and again removed the high places and the Asherim from Judah." NASB The NKJB for the same verse says "And his heart took delight in the ways of the Lord ..." Proverbs 23:24-25 says "The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice, and he who sires a wise son will be glad in him. Let your father and your mother be glad, and let her rejoice who gave birth to you." Proverbs 29:3 - "A man who loves wisdom makes his father glad, ..."

It appears that there are 2 distinct meanings of the word "pride". "We can clearly see both meanings expressed in the Bible, especially if we add the word "proud" to our research. The words can mean to "taking delight in" or "rejoicing in" or "being glad in" or "boasting in" something or someone. Obviously, this understanding of the word, and the practice of it, is not sin. The negative meaning of the word - arrogance, is always sin.

As Paidon pointed out in 2 Corinthians 7:14, Paul boasted in his Corinthian converts and their righteous behavior. Also in 2 Corinthians 1:12,14, and 5:12, Paul is proud of his own godly conduct, and his converts, and said that they should be proud of him and his companions. Phillipians 1:26 says the same thing. Obviously, there are 2 meanings to "pride" or "proud" - one negative and one positive.

God bless you,

Dwight

Return to “Ethics”